Saturday, March 21, 2009

Viva, Bach!


Johann Sebastian Bach
b: 21 March 1685 - Eisenach
d: 28 July 1750 - Leipzig

Bach is the absolute hero of my life. His music feeds my soul, and if I were unable to hear another note of music by any other composer for the rest of my life, I wouldn't feel I was missing a thing. His compositional output was staggering, the quality of his music is unparalleled, and the variety of styles is unbelievable. His music is as mathematically complex as it is beautiful, and is the most enjoyable to play of any I've studied (and that's a lot of music, folks!) I was blessed with a piano teacher who started me out on the music of Bach, instead of scales and other boring crap that drives most kids away from piano lessons before they even get a chance to appreciate what music is all about. Sincere thanks, Mrs. Durham - you worked my four-year-old ass off that first year, and for the next twenty years, but it was worth every keystroke! You and Herr Bach gave me a musical foundation upon which I built a wonderful career as a pianist, harpsichordist, organist and singer, and I'm very grateful to both of you.

No comments: