Monday, July 2, 2012

Mystery Quilt

On June 16, my quilt guild held it's annual mystery quilt class... so called because each participant gets only bare minimum instructions before the class, and then the piece is constructed one step at a time during the class, so it's a true mystery what the finished product will look like. I like this unknown quantity, and am usually pleased with my results. This time, I was VERY pleased.

The only pre-class instructions given were to cut 128, 17" x 2.5" strips, and separate them into 4 sets of 32 strips. The sets could be totally random, or identical. I chose the identical option. I used two packages of Timeless Treasures' "Tonga Treats" in the Gum Drop colorway.


The next step was to sew the fabrics from the individual sets together to make four identical panels...


Then, sew the panels closed to make a tube, and cut each tube into six 2.5" segments.



Decide which square you want in the upper left hand corner, then begin cutting the strips open in the desired order, lay them out to check for correctness, and start sewing them together.




 Two sections sewn together...


All four sections sewn together...


I'll be adding a skinny black & white inner border, and a wide, multi-colored outer border to finish the top. I'll post that picture in a few days.

1 comment: