Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Garden Doldrums

Such a discouraging time of year for gardeners this is... too cold to stay outside more than ten minutes, too wet to just stand around and water (my favorite gardening activity), although the wet ground makes it easy to yank weeds, it's too cold to do that for more than ten minutes, et cetera, et cetera...
This is what I have the most of these days...

I gotta hand it to my tomatoes, though; after the Christmas Eve storm I thought they were done for, but that's not the case. They may look like hell warmed over, but, thanks to the day or two of sunshine we get between storms, they keep on keepin' on. They actually taste good, too! There's enough for salads at dinner, and there's nothing that cheers up a winter salad like tomatoes from just outside the back door!

But wait... here's a hellebore that seems to be surviving... I guess there's hope.

No comments: