Monday, August 3, 2009

Gifts of the Gods

Strawberries are my favorite fruit. Not just any old strawberries, mind you, such as you'ld get at Raley's or Safeway, but the big, fat, juicy, fire-engine-red honkers that come out of your own garden on a sunny afternoon. While the closest thing to ecstasy I can think of is chocolate dipped strawberries, my second choice for ecstasy is strawberry cobbler. When I picked our first real "harvest" a few days ago, I didn't have any dipping chocolate on hand, so I did the next best thing and made a cobbler. Oh. My. Goodness. Ecstasy was truly mine. It only lasted for two desserts, but dinner was worth waiting for those two days!

2:00 pm
5:00 pm
The only thing wrong with my micro-farm in the back yard, is that I'm going to have to wait a few weeks before there are enough strawberries for the next cobbler. Not to worry, though - in the meantime, my faithful weekly produce box from Riverdog Farm has been yielding fresh peaches and apricots for the last few weeks, and, hopefully, will continue to do so for the next few at least. Luckily, both of those fruits make more than adequate strawberry cobbler substitutes, as recent desserts can attest!

No comments: