Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Wind!

Our home is on a hill above the north end of San Francisco Bay, and it's one of the windiest areas I've ever lived in. Usually, I enjoy the wind because it keeps things cool... but I do have my limits! Last night the wind was fierce and non-stop, and rattled the windows until they made the most unearthly whining noise... it was spooky and chilling, and totally unnerved both me and the cats. True to form, DH slept through it (my guess is, he would have slept through Katrina.) This morning I found my bean tower doing a Tower of Pisa imitation:


The hummingbirds were having a terrible time zeroing in on the feeders, and had to hang on for dear life once they did land as the feeders were buffeted about. Several other birds (lower left) got blown into the fence. They finally stopped trying to fly and just sat and ate, no doubt in an attempt to gain more ballast...


The following is a dicy picture thanks to my cheesy camera, but the whole thing was so amazing to me, I had to try to capture it...


The flat area in the center of the picture is the southernmost tip of Mare Island. Directly behind it, there's a short breakwater extending out into the bay, and it's a popular place for people to fish. If anyone had been fishing today, they would have gone to visit Davy Jones. Here, the breakwater is almost totally submerged, with a couple of giant waves crashing over it near the shore.
Everything finally calmed down a couple of hours ago, but I'm sure things will get rough again soon...

No comments: