Thursday, January 3, 2013

New Treasures...

I just gifted myself with two fun pieces of art from my fabulous artist friend, Cheryl Dolby, who lives a gazillion miles away in Roanoke, Virginia. Well, it seems like that far away, because I'd love to be able to get together with her and hang out and talk about art, and play around in one of her classes, and see her exciting work up close and personal. She's also an incredible cook, and I'd like to play "bake-off" with her! That all probably won't ever happen, though, so I do the next best thing... I faithfully follow her blog, and buy myself a piece of her art every once in a while. Cheryl celebrates women in her art... strong, beautiful, elegant women... in jewelry, sculpture, dolls, and paintings. I love her women... it's hard to describe because it's such a personal thing, but they really talk to me, and they empower me. I wish I could fill my house with her women... but, sigh... my tiny house is already overflowing with wonderful art from so many artist friends, not to mention my own art... there are limits I have to face!

My newest treasures are apothecary jars with tops featuring sculpted and embellished women's faces. Here's Timekeeper:


and Tree Crone Woman:



They'll be at home on the desk in my studio and will hold important-to-me family stuff like my parents' wedding rings, dad's Phi Beta Kappa tie clip, mother's nursing school pins, Grandma Willey's beautiful cameo broach, Grandma Conklin's ruby cross, and other small pieces of sentimentalia. Better to store such treasures in beautiful glass jars where I can see them instead of hidden away in boxes in a closet.

Thanks, Cheryl, for once again bringing beauty into my life!

1 comment:

Healing Woman said...

Thank you so much for creating such a beautiful post showcasing my work~
What a wonderful idea to store family heirlooms in the glass jars so that you can view them and every once in awhile, take them out and reflect on memories of your loved ones.

Blogging is somewhat like having a pen pal. You write back and forth and hope one day to meet your friend. In the old days, we could only see our words, at least today, because of our digital cameras, we are able to see color pictures of our blogger buddies and even watch them create on u-tube videos. It's good to be alive in 2013!

Cheers Francie!!