Monday, July 21, 2008

Music of My Hands


Bach's Fantasia and Fugue in G Minor is a fiendishly difficult work I've dreamed of playing since the first time I heard it decades ago. I honestly believe The Master was seriously honked off at someone when he wrote the piece - the Fantasia is a violent, gnashing collection of more notes than it's possible to count, and the Fugue goes like a bat out of hell as it rips over the keyboards, with a pedal part that would give Michael Flatley a run for his money. All of that aside, it's one of the most glorious organ works in the entire repertoire, and I lust to be able to play it!
A recent journal "prompt" from the moderator of my online Art Journal group, was to create a journal page using our hands as the subject. So on my page my left hand (always the most difficult part for me to learn) is effortlessly spewing out the notes of the fugue motif and I'm really playing the piece! Ah... maybe one day...!

2 comments:

Ricë said...

i love this--great job! now i, too, must go find that piece to listen to. . . .

Anonymous said...

Wow! This is wonderful!! I am a fan of Bach as well. I sometimes listen while I'm working in my art journal. ;)